What Is Bronze Birch Borer?
The adult bronze birch borer (Agrilus anxius) is a slender, dark bronze beetle, with a radiant green iridescence underneath the wing. This native insect is a serious pest of any stressed birch tree (Betula species), but is most commonly found attacking the ornamental White Birch that are so common in our neighborhoods. If not treated properly, the bronze birch borer will continue to lay eggs and feed on the vascular tissue of the Birch tree until the tree can no longer sustain the damage and succumbs to the invader.
Diagnosis: What Bronze Birch Borer Looks Like
An early warning sign of bronze birch borer damage is yellowing and thinning or wilting of foliage in the upper crown of the tree (think the top center of the canopy). These symptoms are more evident in hot, dry weather but may progress slowly if the tree is otherwise healthy. You will likely notice “D” shaped holes on the trunk, as well as tunnels below the bark.
If you suspect your tree is sick, please call us immediately at (608) 886-0626, even if you not sure. We love talking trees!
Once we receive your call Our Certified Arborists spring into action. Here’s what our process looks like:
- You call, we answer!
- We will schedule a time for our certified arborists to stop in and inspect your tree(s).
- During our visit, we will take the time to address any worries you may have and do a full inspection and analysis of your yard to make sure everything is healthy and happy.
- We will provide you with an easy-to-understand write up of what we’ve discussed.
- When you give us the okay, we will schedule a time to complete the work.
- Final step: You are satisfied and your trees are pest free.
Preventing Bronze Birch Borer
Have a question about your trees?
We can have one of our certified arborists come out to your home and assess your trees. Whether it is in need of removal, maintenance, or you think it has a disease, we have you covered! Schedule a consultation below!